The by-laws below have been developed by The City of Cape Town. Unlike national laws, by-laws focus on local environments, and intend to cater unique patterns and growth trajectories that are being experienced. The remaining documents can be reviewed to understand what service you should expect from service providers.

City of Cape Town By-laws

Click here to view all Cape Town By-laws.

City of Cape Town By-law Relating to liquor trading days and hours:

To provide for the control of undertakings selling liquor to the public in order to ensure a safe and healthy environment in the City of Cape Town; to provide for days and hours of trade in liquor by licensed undertakings that sell liquor to the public; and to provide for matters related thereto.

Click here to download this Cape Town By-law.

City of Cape Town By-law Relating to Streets, Public Places and the Prevention of Noise Nuisances:

The City of Cape Town (“the City”) may make and administer by-laws for the effective administration of such matters as the control of public nuisances, municipal roads, public places, traffic and parking, and whereas aggressive, threatening, abusive or obstructive behaviour of persons in public is unacceptable to the City.

Click here to download this Cape Town By-law.

Central City Improvement District (CCID) business plan:

The Central City Improvement District (CCID) is a private–public partnership formed by residential and commercial the property owners to provide top–up or complementary services over and above what the City of Cape Town provides. All property owners are charged a monthly fee for services which involve Safety and Security, Urban management, Social Development and marketing and communications. The CCID has no formal legislated authority, and the City of Cape Town has not delegated any of their responsibility and authority to the CCID, and thus remains the legal and responsible party on all matters. For example issuing of licenses, issuing of fines, issuing of liquor and business licenses, building plan approvals. In addition, the CCID has no jurisdiction on private property, unless invited by property owner to assist in a matter where possible and can only operate in public spaces.

Click here to download the CCID business plan

Does your establishment in question even have a liquor licenses:

Frequently establishments start trading without the necessary liquor licenses. If you have an objection to the granting of a permanent liquor license, contact Captain Hendricks from the SAPS on